Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Hardest Step For a Runner to Take is the First One Out the Door



Today is National Running Day!!! Happy NRD to you =)
I love to run - alone, with the dog, with a friend.  It is therapeutic and helps clear my thoughts and emotions.   Last summer, I started running with my dad.  I had this crazy idea that I wanted to run my second half marathon.  So we started training.

It was HARD.  Especially because - super smart us - decided to start training in JULY! JULY People!! Here in July it is 85* on a COOL NIGHT! To say it was hot and muggy and 'heavy' is an understatement.  My dad likes to tell people that on our first two mile run together it was like trying to run in wet jeans and combat boots.  Yeah, it was tough.

By December we were ready though and I PR-ed =) YAY me! Although it was a hard run...about 10 days before the race, I started experiencing discomfort in my left knee.  Me and my imagination were mentally prepping for the worst. As in a small tear in the tendon or something that would need surgery and/or prevent me from running for an extended amount of time.

I finally went to the doctor in January and she told me I had to actually invest in for real shoes - not just whatever was on sale at Kohl's like I had been.  So new shoes and inserts were purchased.  Since that day in late January I have had no pain while running.  You read that right - NONE!!!

My dad and I started training again and are only up to about 6 miles for our 'long' runs.  We are really wanting to get back to where we are running 8-9 miles on Saturday mornings.  For now, we are happy with averaging anywhere between 10 - 15 miles a week.

Today we are planning on running - if the weather holds out for us.  and I am really hoping it isn't hurricane-ing since, after all, it's National Running Day!


Do you have a running buddy?
Are you planning a run for today?
Photobucket

No comments: