Monday, February 10, 2014

Some Days Are Darker Than Others

I can’t believe how many days have passed since my last post.  Life has been crazy busy and exciting; business is fantastic and I’m so proud of The Husband.  I sat down this morning to start posting again.  I thought about it last night as I drifted off into Never, Neverland.  What would I post?! Life has been IN.SANE!  Non-stop and so much fun! We have tackled a couple projects that I want to share; gone to parties; and just had an all-around great time.

But then I think about the posts/e-cards/memes that talk about being real.  Being true and showing both sides of the coin.  Let’s be honest, we all know things aren’t glitter and rainbows 100% of the time.  Don’t get me wrong, things with The Husband couldn’t be better.  Yesterday was the first day since before Thanksgiving that we spent time alone with one another.  We put down our phones/social media for the most part and eliminated as many distractions as we could. 
I’m always so torn when less than perfect things happen – I don’t want to the Debbie-downer blog on a Monday but this is kind of my safe haven, where I can get my thoughts out. 
You see, The Husband has a friend who he has known since little league t-ball.  This friend has such a big heart and would do anything for anyone.  Last week, he did just that.  His mentor needed a kidney and this friend happened to be a match. He went through all the testing, the paperwork, psych evals, all of it.  He was donating his kidney to this woman, his mentor, who needed more time.  He made it through the surgery flawlessly; we couldn’t believe his selfless act to give this woman more for her family, friends, and community.  I woke up this morning and read a post from our friend - his mentor passed away last night.
I didn’t know her but I am devastated for our friend.  I sit here heartbroken wondering how to comfort him.  I don’t know what to say or how to reach out to him.  I ended up texting him this morning; I know he received 80+ comments on his FB post letting everyone know what has happened.  I wanted to know I had physically reached him on some level, any level.
I scrolled through my blogger dashboard this morning wondering whether to post this, on a Monday no less.  I saw January Baby posted about life being too short and the very next post was How to Make Strawberry Roses.  It was a tough decision - the sugar coated, sparkly, upbeat posts are way easier to digest.
My friend’s news has been weighing on my heart since I found out.  I am thankful for lots of work to keep me focused and a long run with my dad this afternoon.   I keep checking my social media feed to see if maybe I misunderstood, maybe we were all wrong about who and what was lost last night.
‘the Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it (John 1:5)’
‘Recovery begins from the darkest moment’
‘I find hope in the darkest of days and focus in the brightest’ – Dalai Lama
These things keep running through my mind as I work, as I drove to work, as I sit here praying for my friend and the families mourning their loss today.  I pray for our friend to find the Light and find healing and peace. 
I don't mean to be a downer here kids - I'm just heartbroken for my friend. I wish there was more that we could do or say to help his healing process but I know it is up to him and all we can do is sit in the wings waiting for him to call us to the stage.
 photo signature_zps9b0b42f9.jpg

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a selfless thing for your friend to do. I can tell how devastating this is for you. I am so sorry.

http://sweetcanadian.blogspot.com/ said...

I fully believe in being real, with that comes posts sometimes that are sadder, such is life.

What a horrible thing, to go through all that and have the person pass away would just be gut wrenching.

Here is a brighter note, i love doing nail art (am getting pretty good) and i acquired a lot of nail polishes and am making a rack because you did! yours is/was my inspiration.