Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dresser Re-Finished

Hey Y'all!!!
You may remember when I showed you THIS piece of furniture.
  
It is a MESS...well it WAS a mess. I picked it up for FREE! I plan on using it in my craft room at the new house...we will have our closing date really REALLY soon!! Check out yesterday's post here!!
The VERY first thing I did to this piece was CLEAN it! I used a magic eraser to get most of the icky off. Once it was as clean as it was going to get, I knew it was time to prime.
Alright - so I did some research because I really really didn't want to go to town on this piece of painted furniture with a sander.  I found that Zissner 1-2-3 paint primer is magical. It will adhere to any surface and then you just paint over it! WOO! Talk about a TIME saver!
I DID sand the entire piece..nothing hard core but when I started with a hot mess, I felt sanding was a safe option. I just used a little $2 sanding block that was fine grit - some of the original paint was chipping and some of the edges were terribly rough.
After the sanding was complete, I used a paint brush to prime. That primer covered so well! I was impressed. I left the piece to dry overnight - for two reasons: I needed to let it sit for at least a couple hours before painting over it AND my hand was tired!
  
After I primed, I picked out the perfect white shade...can you believe how many shades of white are sold in the paint department?! I bought Toasted Marshmallow by Behr. For the accent color, which was originally gold on the piece, I used the light aqua color that will be used as an accent color for the stencil on the walls in the craft room.

Using a fine paint brush, I added the accent color. This part was definitely time consuming. Thankfully most of the spots I wanted to paint with the accent were on a routed accent.

Because the accent spots were more of an 'indent' and not raised, I was able to use a small foam roller to roll over it with the white. This didn't mess up the accent parts and helped me to clean up the 'overage' I left behind.

While all the paint dried, I knew i wanted to change the drawer pulls. They had been painted with the original pale yellow and then the gold swiped on for accent. I decided to get some Krylon brushed silver spray paint and just have at it.
Put it all together after the pulls dried and .....
VIOLA! My piece is complete.
         
It isn't in use yet because I am slowly working on packing everything now that we know a closing date is near =)

Have you ever refinished a piece of furniture?
If you have or if you do in the future, I would LOVE to see your completed project!
Photobucket

17 comments:

Shannon said...

That is amazing!! What a difference, and I love the aqua detail... makes it so whimsical! Great job!

Syndal said...

beautiful! great job!

Emily said...

This looks great, I love it!

Theodora Ofosuhima said...

This is a great finish. I wish I can do something similar.

Unknown said...

Love it!!!! So cute!! Congrats on the closing!! :)

Katie said...

what a transformation! great work Ashley!

Carolyn said...

It looks so cute! I love the blue accents! :)

Michelle said...

WOW! Love it! Love the aqua/tiffany blue color detail! Great job! :)

The Presutti's said...

New Follower! I just started refinishing furniture! I have done a stool, which is on my blog, a chair (not blogged yet), and am currently working on an old desk! I always sand mine with a power sander, life saver I tell you! I will have to try the stuff you recommended! The piece looks great!! Congrats

Kristen said...

Looks great! Love the blue accents! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I am your newest follower!!

westcoastsoul said...

Aw it's so pretty : )

Jessica and Stephan said...

I love it! It looks awesome :) good job :)

Dana said...

Wow, looks great! Nice job!

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh, I love this!! I bet it is going to look amazing in the new craft room!!

Christina said...

That turned out really good!! Cute!

Faith said...

why can't i be this creative?! so not fair!!!

love it!!