Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Wicked Tuna

Last Friday, The Husband and I took the day off and rode down to The Keys with a friend and his dad to pick up their boat.  We planned on being there all weekend and so decided to charter a boat.  While it has been mostly warm the past couple weeks, we have still experienced a dip in temperatures every week – for instance the high for Thursday is only 60 and the low is 40!!! Bbbrrrrr!! That’s cold for our part of the world!
It was WINDY all day on Friday and stayed fairly breezy and cool on Saturday, that is not to say the sun wasn’t out and we didn’t all get too much sun!
Some of our friends made the drive down late Friday night to meet up with us on Saturday morning and get on board for the trip. 
Our target was Blackfin Tuna.  The captain knew exactly where to take us and luckily they were biting. I was excited to catch my first tuna ever! And for as small as they are, that fish puts up a surprisingly good fight!  
The water was a bit rougher than I prefer but thanks to some good ol' Dramamine, I felt fantastic! While I do believe part of being sea sick is a little mind over matter (meaning you can talk yourself into feeling worse/getting sea sick), I have been once in pretty rough conditions and let me just tell you, it is one of the worst sick I have been.  Mostly because I couldn't do anything about it and had to endure it for 8 hours. I was able to fall asleep (thanks for shutting down body) and only had to push through it while we were stopped on a fishing spot.  
I am so glad I didn't have that problem and since then, no matter what the sea state, I make sure to take some Dramamine or some sort of motion sickness something to keep from ever feeling that bad.
        
We had such a great time that we are already planning another trip back, hopefully in the next few weeks!  If nothing else I am looking forward to the warmer weather, sunshine, and being outside!
 photo signature_zps9b0b42f9.jpg

No comments: