Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Successful {Part II}

The other piece to my/our successful weekend was FINALLY completing a half marathon and feeling good the entire run.  I know that sounds ridiculous but the first two I ever ran I was exhausted the whole race AND fighting injury.

My first race ended up being partially enjoyable because I ran with a friend.   My second race was awful - horrible, terrible, no good at. ALL. I know my dad tried SO hard to make it better and keep me motivated but to no avail.  I honestly believe it was the nature of my potential injury (knee) and I thought it was going to be bad so I was freaking out, tired, hungry, scared, upset...gosh all of the 'bad' emotions.

I am happy to report that Sunday's Half in Daytona was AMAZING!

The Husband and I met my parents in Daytona on Saturday night so that we wouldn't have to get up at some annoyingly early time to make the long drive out there.  We had a high protein, high carb dinner and went to bed relatively early.  I slept with earplugs in to try and keep from waking up a million times.  I wake up a lot when I sleep in hotels – new noises and what not.  I slept surprisingly well.  I woke up feeling rejuvenated.  The Husband on the other hand fought with the too firm and too fluffy pillows.  He was not thrilled about being up at 4:30.  Breakfast consisted of eggs and a protein drink.  I was ready.

I knew the weather was going to be chilly (for the area) so I was stressed about what to wear running.  Saturday morning The Husband and I bought me a new running shirt that was long sleeved but wasn't made for either warm or cool weather; I only wanted the dry-fit material.  We found something that I felt confident would meet my needs.  I had been hoping for a brighter and more fun color but when last minute shopping, I was just happy to find something that was lightweight and long sleeved.

This race set up was pretty amazing.  You drive down through the Daytona International Speedway tunnel and across the track to park on the grass in the center of the course.  The starting line was on pit row of the speedway. It was so cool!
Bring it on Daytona! 
I’ll save you the details on how each mile progressed.  We ran the speedway and then made the trek out to International Speedway Blvd.  The course takes you up and over the most treacherous bridge I could have dreamt of running across in the area!! It was very steep and took a lot of steps and energy out of us.   You run out to the beach and a quarter mile on the beach.  I was concerned about the sand situation but it was packed very well.  The view was gorgeous – tide was high so you ran right there at the water’s edge.  
The course took us back to International Speedway Blvd and up over the bridge again, through a side neighborhood and the finish was AT the finish line for the speedway. 
That's us up front, getting ready to leave the Speedway Track
It was hard – there was a lot of elevation change and not a bunch of recovery time in between the major changes (like the bridge).   My dad and I discussed running it again next year so that we can gauge our progress.   Whether or not you are getting better is hard to determine when constantly running different courses/races.

The best part about this race was I was able to finish with a smile.  Literally I was smiling as I crossed the finish line.
Almost to the finish and this is when I pass as many people as possible
I didn't PR but I was close to my time from the half last year.  I felt great! One thing though, I think when they hand out water at the finish line, they should also give you a banana.  By the time I finish 13.1 miles I am OUT of energy and the crash off the adrenaline happens very quickly for me. 
So Proud of us! And I LOVE the medals!
After the race, we changed and headed to breakfast where I enjoyed a cranberry mimosa. Um pretty much one of the most delicious things ever.
I slept most of the way home – thank goodness The Husband drove.  The rest of our Sunday was extremely low key which didn't hurt my feelings at all!

Last night after work I ran a little over 4 miles.  It is the soonest I have run after a half marathon.  I felt so exhilarated! I hope to remain injury free because there are a slew of races I want to participate in this year =)  Oh and here is a picture from my run last night….

AND btw – for those who may be a little lost and confused this week also, it is Wednesday, not Tuesday. 

You’re welcome! 

 photo signature_zps9b0b42f9.jpg

1 comment:

Jamie Hirujo said...

Congratulations on the 1/2 marathon!