Monday, October 4, 2010

DIY: Canvas Re-do

I saw a print on over at Our Humble A{Bowe}d that Amanda sells on her etsy shop.  It was love at first site.  Seriously,  I LOVE this print -- she sells it and will customize it for you.  Here is the print:
Carved Initials Print
I love the whole look and feel of the print.  I contacted Amanda to see if I could use her idea.  She gave me her approval to copy the idea and share it with you all.  Thank you so much Amanda for the inspiration!!
First thing I did was try to DRAW this.  For those of you don't know me, I don't draw.  I doodle but it's not something I would EVER show to anyone! So I drew it and was really surprised with myself!!
I made a few changes for mine, of course the initials and I also added a second tree branch with some little branches growing off those main branches. 
Now I decided to get adventurous -- I was going to PAINT it.  yeah, this could get really ugly. I had a canvas already painted,...it was the first and only canvas I have ever done.  I hope to change that in the coming months...
Can you tell why I don't particularly like -- it's a little lame. =/ anyway, I had the same paint colors left over so I knew I would use those.  This way I am using only supplies that I already had. 
I painted over my original design.  When I finished, I could still see (very clearly) the original design on the canvas under the paint.  No good -- so I decided to create a texture on the canvas using a sponge 'brush'. MUCH better results.
Then it was time to transfer the drawing to the canvas.  I didn't draw it on the canvas first like I thought I would -- I free handed the design, once again, surprising myself. Here is the finished result on the wall.
 I wanted to have our wedding date on the tree but my brushes were NOT cooperating - so I skipped it =/  All in all, I am really happy with it and J really likes it. PLUS it's way cooler than what WAS there. =)
Thanks again, Amanda, for the inspiration!!

6 comments:

Christina said...

That looks awesome! I love it!

Amber said...

Love it! I'm telling you - it's time to open that shop! :)

cailen ascher said...

very cute idea. i'm liking it : )

Tutti said...

Oh I saw that on their blog!! And how cute is your rendition?! I really like the texture on the canvas vs. a flat paint. Excellent job... yet again!

AiringMyLaundry said...

So pretty!!

Anonymous said...

Great job!! I'm impressed!