Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nothing Is What It Seems

Facebook is a funny thing...especially for those of us who moved during grade school. I wasn't huge into FB when it started with college students only. I had an account and I wasn't hugely active. It wasn't really my thing.
Later in college, I started to find the value in it - especially in sharing with my out of town family. I got sucked in and friended all sorts of people from grade school -- seriously from like elementary. So weird! As my college chapter came to a close, I started accepting friend requests (and making my own) from people I went to high school with. I liked high school OK but I didn't make friends that I have stayed in contact with over the last - sheesh...I hate to even say this....9 years! OH MY GOSH!!! How did THAT happen?! I have been out of high school almost TEN YEARS?! Somehow that makes me feel strangely old. =/
Anyway, all the ideas of who you were or who someone else was, fades. You talk to people who thought you were a somebody - that freaked me out the first time. I would NEVER say I was popular. I played sports and knew a lot of people but I didn't have a crowd. It seriously changed every year. So for a "popular" kid to tell me I was popular - weird.

Yesterday I was surfing around and looking at different pictures and I stumbled upon a guy I had a little crush on my freshman year of high school when I lived in Texas. I never told him - he was older and I thought WAY out of my league. Ha that is so funny to think now...I mean come on - really?! a LEAGUE?! We were 13-17 for crying out loud!! So I ended up clicking on his profile. He is a good looking MAN - also weird to think. He will always be the 16 year old I knew and hung out with  =) So I checked what he is up to now; you know where he works, married, kids, etc.  It is always so interesting to me to see where people end up. He isn't where I thought he would be but I only knew him for a year and I was a kid =)

So here I am thinking about being 14 and what I thought I would be doing 10+ years later. I'm no where near where I thought I would be -- and not because I had serious expectations about my life, but I thought I would always move somewhere that ACTUALLY had seasons; or live a glamorous life; or have 3 dogs; the ideas I had about my older self were strange lol.


I knew at the end of my freshman year that my family would be moving to Florida and I would start my new life in high school there. But I had no idea I would end up being a stationary individual. I always thought I would move every few years. I guess I have TECHNICALLY but I haven't left the city I came to for college.

I always thought I would live near my parents - which I do.

I thought when I was 22-23 I would have my first kid. Thank goodness THAT didn't happen - I wasn't quite with the man I call my husband until I was halfway into my 23rd year but prior to officially dating him, I had a couple terrible boyfriends.

I thought I would be a stay at home mom - Heaven knows that would kill me. I would NOT be productive if I stayed home all day all the time.

I never EVER would have thought I would have married such a Southern boy with redneck tendencies. Let's face it - my man is a hunting-fish catching-meat eating-camo wearing- SOUTHERN man! I guess I always thought I would end up with someone that had an office job as opposed to the man I have married, self-employed (until this year) and just all around different than I would have ever imagined.

I got excited about a giant turkey I saw when I was driving around with my mom for crying out loud!
If you would have told me that even when I was 20 I would have laughed in your face.


Life is so funny the way it works out.  I know I have said this in the past, but there is not a SINGLE thing I would change, I wouldn't reverse a decision or go right instead of left. I'm exactly where I want to be. =)  And it isn't to say my life isn't glamorous - but to you, it probably isn't. My most cherished moments of my recent past, are the hours I am snuggled in bed with The Husband talking and laughing about our every day love and life. I say my life is glamorous; maybe not in the traditional sense but to me, it is. =)

It is so fun to see where people have ended up...it is also LOADS of fun to look up boys I had crushes on in jr. high and see what they are doing now and what they look like =) Yes in a very FB stalking manner - whatever! don't judge - I know you do it too =)

Are you where you thought you would be?
What is surprising about where you have ended up?
Photobucket

9 comments:

Faith said...

That was a pleasure to read. Because it is so true. Everyone thinks it and feels what you wrote.

The thing for me is that I never really thought about what I would do as I got older. Except for a job. I thought I would own a hotel/resort. Not even close. Haha.

But as for where I would be, I never said it for myself so I am pretty much living the life I always was suppose to because I never had any actual plans. Kinda strange to say.

Kristen said...

I too have some things in my life that are different than I expected.

Ryan is the most laid back, home-body guy I have ever met. And I was not one to stay home. I always wanted to go out and travel and DO something. However, he made me appreciate staying in more AND appreciate my family more - which I took for granted before I met him. I still love to go out and travel though - it's definitely something I'm working on with him. ;)

I also thought I would have kids when I was 23 (funny how old we thought that was when we were teenagers) but now that I'm 25, I'm honestly ok with waiting another couple years. I like my life the way that it is at the moment.

It is funny to see where people are that you used to know as a kid. Sadly, there's almost no point in reunions anymore though.

Shannon said...

When I first read the title of this post, I thought it was going a whole different directions. As in, Facebook is just a place to be superficial. Where we only put up good pictures of ourselves, where we pick and choose how we want to be perceived, and how our "real life" people skills suffer because of our online, superficial people skills get more exercise.

(All of which I believe are true, btw)

But I was happy to read and giggle to myself because I have had all the same thoughts! (and stalkerish tendencies to look up old crushes)

Great post!

Newlyweds on a Budget said...

i definitely did NOT think i would be married by now. i was hoping to wait until i was 30. and while it's made life a little more difficult financially to have gotten married, at the same time, i'm SO happy. so i'm with you--i wouldn't change anything : )

Mrs. Nix said...

My life is somewhat on track for how I thought I'd end up when I was younger.

I got married young, moved a lot, and work with kids...those are all what I thought I'd do. I also thought I'd be a young mom (as soon as we got married), but that's not going to happen for a while. I also thought I'd complete 4 years of college...and that turned out differently as well! But I wouldn't change a thing. :)

Thanks for posting this! So fun to think about.

Anonymous said...

So true! Loved this post! My life isn't at all what I "planned" it to be but I wouldn't change it for anything! Glad you wouldn't either!

carissa said...

i'm thankful i'm not where i thought i'd be. because this is so much better. thank the Lord!

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

I was just thinking the exact same thing. I mean just thinking about last year, I never thought I would be married and living on the west coast and here I am! I also feel the same way you do, I wouldn't change one bad boyfriend, one adventure, one road trip for anything. Everything has taught me a lesson and helped shape this wonderful life I now call mine.

Loved reading your post and am your newest follower!

Unknown said...

it is really fun looking through FB & seeing where everyone ended up. HS seems so far away, and yet I get those random "happy birthday" messages each year, etc.

love your thoughts on it!