Wednesday, December 1, 2010

12 Days of Christmas: Day 9


Favorite Holiday Recipe
My favorite recipe has to be either homemade Coconut Bon Bons or Pecan Pie =) My aunt gave my mom the pie recipe and it has to be one of the best I've ever had!

{RECIPE: Coconut Bon Bons}
1 can Eagle Brand Milk
14 oz coconut
1/2 c margarine
1 bag powdered sugar
1 lb pecans
1 t vanilla
candied pineapple or cherries (optional)
2 pkgs dipping chocolate

Heat butter, milk and vanilla until melted.  Add coconut and powdered sugar.  add pecans.  mix and chill until firm.  Add candied pineapple or cherries if desired.  Melt 2 pkg dipping chocolate. Roll coconut mixture into balls and dip into chocolate.  Place on wax paper to harden.

{RECIPE: Pecan Pie}
1 c sugar
1 c white karo
4 eggs
2 T melted butter
1 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Mix all ingredients together and pour into unbaked pie shell.  Bake until pie tester comes out clean.

In the original pie recipe it calls for vanilla, however this past Thanksgiving my mom didn't have vanilla and there weren't any stores open to get it.  SO she made it without the vanilla and we all agreed that it's the best she's made.  So from now on, NO VANILLA! =)
These are my two FAVORITE desserts during the holidays though the Bon Bons are a little more involved than the pie.  =)
What are some of your favorite recipes during the holidays?

8 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I totally need to make these. A BonBon Rose Girl needs her bonbons. HA!

Molly said...

Sounds delish! Thanks for linking up :)

Nicole said...

Hmmm both sound very interesting and tempting!

A Wedding Story said...

YUM!!! I am going to try both because my husband would flip for these!

Anonymous said...

Those bon bons sound so good!! I love coconut and chocolate!

Kit said...

I have never made pecan pie but I will now :)

Smiling is Good for Your Teeth said...

coconut bon bons sound amazing!!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Mmm, I love pie.