Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Family Christmas Poem

Every year for as long as I can remember, my dad has written a Christmas poem as our family Christmas card.  In this poem, he recaps the entire year in our immediate family and different things we have done and big events that have occurred. I thought I would share to help get you all in the holiday spirit -- and it rhymes! I always want to read Twas the Night Before Christmas after reading these!!  Enjoy!

Where has it gone the year two thousand and ten?
It's hard to believe that it's Christmas again
And so it is time for the annual poem
That comes filled with love from our Florida home.

This year the poem was to be a Haiku
But Donna and the girls told me that would not do
So I sat at the table and started to scribe
As rhyme after rhyme in my head did arrive.

This year for our family was better than most
because last March a wedding we did host.
Ashley and John told each other "I do"
And we witnessed the union of one...from two.

Their first year together has been a blessing to see
We gained a new son Donna and Me
John's a good man and he loves Ashley dearly
If you're around them at all you can see this quite clearly!

Soon after that, in May up the coast
Another event of which we must boast
This time the news is from Jessie you see
She graduated college with her teaching degree

She packed up her good and left Greenville behind
She headed to Florida for a job she would find
After months of searching her decision was made
She's at East River High School teaching ninth grade.

Doug followed Jessie after graduation,
He left Carolina without hesitation.
In November this year a ring he did buy
So there's another wedding coming in July!

Donna changed jobs, finally starting a career
Something she could no do in previous years
She's working for Homeland, which I think is nice
Working for a division they refer to as ICE

As you see from our events it's been quite a year
And I've tried my very best to capture it here
We wish you and yours the best Christmas Season
Remembering that HE is truly the reason!

There you have it -- from the hand of my father! =) I wish I would have acquired this talent =) Now I feel all rhythmic and rhyme-y ahaha! Enjoy your Tuesday everyone -- Christmas is a hop, skip and jump away! With the poem (which was printed on happy festive paper) they also sent a photo card:

11 comments:

Allison said...

That is so cool that your dad does that...EVERY...year! :)

Christina said...

I love it!!

Nicole said...

OMG I wish I had that talent too! That's fabulous!

Young and Fabulous said...

thats freakin adorable!! your dad sounds like the coolest guy! :)

Hope you all have a fabulous Christmas!

xoxo

AiringMyLaundry said...

That is very nice!

Faith said...

that is so awesome! i love that!

Megan said...

This is SO awesome!! What a unique idea!!

Holly said...

WOW! You have one awesome dad! That is the COOLEST Christmas letter I've ever read! :O

Amber said...

Beautiful poem - I love that your dad does that each year!

Shannon said...

How special is that?! What a wonderful tradition!

And I agree, beautiful photo!

Merry Christmas!

Lady Fromage said...

Aw, love it! And the picture is wonderful!! :)