Wednesday, December 8, 2010

{Tutorial} DIY Hair Flower

Sunday (after nearly 9 months) I FINALLY got to participate in a Rock the Dress.  This is similar to a Trash the Dress except you don't trash it. I had considered going in the lake with it but it was cold AND the night before I had a bad and scary dream.  Needless to say I passed.  I hope to have teasers to share with you tomorrow!
In the meantime, I made all my accessories for the day!
I didn't take pictures but I also made my cathedral veil, necklace and earrings.  You will definitely be able to see them in pictures as soon as I have some suitable to share =)
In the meantime, this is how I made the hair flowers:
Materials:
Fabric flower
Small styrofoam ball
craft glue &/or hot glue
beads
flat head straight pins
alligator clip
any additional accessories (feathers etc.)

Instructions:
Remove the flower from the stem. You can keep the flower as big or as small as you want but removing layers of petals.  Check for and remove any plastic pieces from the center of the flower. Glue the petals back together on top of each other, layering them by size.
If you're using feathers, trim them down to your desired size and glue them to the backside of the flower.
Glue the alligator clip to the back of the flower. Set aside to dry
Take one of the small styrofoam balls and cut in in half. Take a bead and thread it onto a flat-head pin. Cut the pin to a shorter length so it will stick into the half-sphere, but not out of the other side. Dip the pin in the craft glue to ensure it stays put once you've stuck it into the ball.
Start arranging the beads in random order (or you can make a pattern if you like) by sticking them into the styrofoam.
Once you've covered the styrofoam, add a generous amount of glue to the bottom of the beaded ball, and stick it in the center of your flower. I set the flower to dry under a stack of papers so that the center would dry flat and completely adhere to the flower. 
Wear it and be fabulous in your custom hair flower =) WOOO! =)

12 comments:

Faith said...

oooh i love it! i really like the color too! awesome job, like always!

Anonymous said...

I love hair flowers! I wore one at our wedding!

Pink Champagne, Gatorade, and MRE's said...

sure cute! cant wait to see pictures!

Christina said...

yay! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Lady Fromage said...

First off, congrats on the tree! It looks great, and y'all are so cute!!!

Second, thanks for the tutorial! I've always wanted to rock one of these, and now I can! Hooray!

Lastly, you should stop by my blog for a give away ending Friday! all you have to do is comment for a copy of The Rebel Housewife Rules! :) Great book, I promise you'll love it!

Diva's Thoughts said...

Oh I love that flower.

Amber said...

Can't wait to see your pictures! I've been married for two and half years but still consider doing a photoshoot with my dress. It just seems like it might have been too long now though. :(

AiringMyLaundry said...

I love it! Hair flowers rock.

Nicole said...

Oh love the color! I actually had one of these in my wedding, it was white and bought. Yours looks awesome! Can't wait to see photos! :)

Tutti said...

Oooh, dying to see your pictures. And your accessories will be PERFECT for it!

Jana said...

So cute! I love it!

Come enter to win a free pair of sandals!!

http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/sseko-giveaway.html

cailen ascher said...

how cute! can't wait to see the picts!!