Sunday, September 26, 2010

DIY Ruger Bed

Our fur-kid's bed was in sad sad shape.  We originally purchased it when he was 6 months old...now he is almost 2.5 years old.  It was time to get him a new bed.  J and I searched high and low looking for a good bed that didn't break the bank.  Yeah right, good luck trying to find a big dog bed for less than $40.  I love our boy, but seriously -- that's a little steep. 
Our solution: I would make one! I figured it absolutely HAD to be cheaper to DIY than to buy.  I had to decide how we would stuff it since it was going to be so big.  J and I own like 7 extra bed pillows that we don't use, so I decided the best way to do this would be by using 2 of the pillows as the bedding.  I didn't disassemble the pillows, I left them as you would to put in a pillowcase. 
I sewed some ribbon to the edges of the fabric and stuffed the pillows in the open end.  I sewed the open end shut and sewed the edges of the fabric together to create a little flair with the ribbon. 

This really gave it a finished look.  I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  The dimensions are 35"X29". 
Ruger's pretty happy with it =)


10 comments:

The Diaries Of A Mrs. said...

awesome idea! it's so hard to find "good" big dog beds that don't break the bank. I have two dogs and we always buy ours (with love) at big lots/tj max. :) Rugers is MADE with love!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed! I can't sew anything. Great job!

Faith said...

seriously, the hubby would love me even more if i had half of your talent. the amount of money it would save us! hopefully one thing you DIY i will one day be able to do too! i can hope!

Anonymous said...

That turned out awesome! And the pup seems to LOVE it!!

Tutti said...

It's almost like you read my mind- I've been wanting to make our Charly a new bed for ages. But what a fantastic idea to use old pillows! Love it! And if you don't mind, I might borrow it when I get around to doing ours!

Betty said...

Hi! Found your blog on 20sb...adorable! And great idea for the dog bed...I should try that with our big fur baby!
~Betty
http://northwestbetty.blogspot.com

Christina said...

Hey needed that after his long run :) It turned out great!!

Amber said...

I need two new dog beds - my pups' beds are in bad shape as well. But I can't find anything for less than $40 either and I certainly don't want to spend $80+ total. But there is no way I could do that myself. I might have to seek out a friend who has a sewing machine!

Ms. Emmy N said...

How cute! Love it, and way better than spending $30 at petsmart!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Found your blog on 20sb..now following it and looking forward to connecting with you!

Carrie A Groff
http://livingahealthybeachlife.blogspot.com